Sunday, March 14, 2010

Frustration over Equipment

Well, as I wrote in my last entry, I'm going to do the UV experiment. Although I said that I CAN use the paper pieces, I still hope that I can get some sort of equipment so that the experiment would be easier and quicker. I think a spectrophotometer can help me out here. But they are generally like $500 plus, so not very realistic... Another option would be the domestic UV detectors that tell you the UV level so you can put on your sunscreen and stuff. They are cheaper and can give me the UV degree in a number (instead of the UV sensitive bead that can only change colour). The problem with these is that I did not find any in Sydney via internet. I found it in England, Europe, USA and China!!! (but I don't want to wait for it to be shipped here and shipping also costs) I just don't get why we don't have any in Australia - since we are perhaps the most sun-burnt country in the world. It's just frustrating.

1 comment:

  1. Grace:
    http://www2.oregonscientific.com/shop/product.asp?cid=2&scid=5&pid=644

    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/LCD-UV-Intensity-Tester-Index-Sunlight-Monitor-P542_W0QQitemZ250590511294QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Body_Care?hash=item3a585bc0be

    Try those.

    And yeah, I do find it strange that Australia wouldn't have anything like these available- I know that Australian Geographics sells Oregon Scientific stuff, but I don't know whether they'd have a UV monitor or whether they can even order it in!

    This certainly sounds like a really interesting practical! :D

    ReplyDelete