Sunday, May 16, 2010

First set of raw data

A close up of the UV-meter. It was indoors at the time, so the measurement reads zero.
The measurement with two layers of glass

The measurement with all five layers of glass


Table of Data

I got my UV-meter on the 12th! Much obliged to my mom’s friend (although I had some complaints about her not coming back earlier… I apologize for that here); I will write her down in my acknowledgments if she gives me permission to do so. It is quite small actually, and shuts down by itself after 2 minutes. But I am very happy as it actually works despite its, well, appearance. There is an oval patch underneath the screen that looks like those solar electric battery things. And I guess that is how it detects the UV radiation. Anyway, the photo of the UV-meter will on the blog so that what I am talking about will be clearer.

I just took some measurements of the UV at 10:25, when the weather was sunny with around 10%-20% cloud cover over the horizon. The UV radiation level from my balcony is 3 on the apparatus. And through 15mm of glass it is around 1-2; and if the glass thickness decreases, the UV would increase. I set up the glass on a boiling pan (is that the right name?) with the biggest piece on the bottom. So I just have to stick the UV-meter underneath the glass and add glass pieces on the top to achieve the different thicknesses. It is very convenient and fast: in the beginning I was holding the glasses on one hand and the trying to measure with the other, and if I am doing multiple pieces the glass keeps falling down (coming to think of it that was pretty dangerous as the glass pieces are scraps and the edges are fairly sharp). So, anyway, from the present data my hypothesis seems to be supported. The table of date and my set up pictures are appended above. The decimal readings such as 1.5 mean that the UV reading is changing between two numbers, like 1 and 2.

It is so good to be finally doing the experiment after so many weeks thinking about it. It is turning cloudy now, I can’t seem any direct sunshine from where I am. I need to take measurements on a cloudy day too (multiple samples always make the results more accurate, right?). So I might do it this afternoon or next week (the weather forecast said that it is going to be cloudy and raining most of the time then).

No comments:

Post a Comment